Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer

This was my first Georgette Heyer book and at least, it’s better than Austen. It is still dull for me, the story was slow and I really couldn’t wait to finish the book! So I’m really, really glad it’s over.

Anyway, what day were you born on? I was born on a Wednesday and I guess I’m full of woe. Friday’s child is loving and giving, which describes Hero perfectly. Hero’s an orphan and she’s been under her cousin’s care ever since she was young. Well, her cousin wasn’t really fond of her and her life’s actually quite miserable.

The hero in the story would be Sherry or Lord Sheringham. He has asked the Incomparable or Isabella for her hand in marriage but was rejected. Feeling indignant that he should be married right away so that he can have full control of his money, which was left to him by his late father, he vowed that he’d marry the next girl he meets. Sherry’s quite addicted to gaming and he is in a lot of debts.

And it’s no other than Hero Wantage who’s about to be sent to Bath to become a governess. She’s also Sherry’s childhood friend and adores him completely. When he suggests that they get married, she agrees on the condition that they don’t interfere in each other’s lives. It’s like they’re free to do what they want but in a discreet way, I guess. So, they set off to London and Hero says goodbye to being a governess.

With the help of Sherry’s cousins, Gil and Ferdy, the wedding goes smoothly. They nickname Hero ‘Kitten’. After that, life goes on as usual. Hero gets along very well with Gil, Ferdy, and another of Sherry’s friend, George, who’s completely smitten with Isabella and has always been trying to win her heart. Thanks to the characters of Gil, Ferdy, and George, as they make the story much more interesting! What would the book be without them?

Hero also lands herself in a number of scrapes and Sherry helps her out since he’s her husband and he’s responsible for her. But for how long will he tolerate it all? Hero utterly worships him and would do anything to make him happy. Whatever he says, she follows. She doesn’t really have a mind of her own but then when it comes to love, can’t blame her, right?

If you want to try Georgette Heyer’s books, I’m not sure if you should start with this one. I have more Heyer books to go and I hope that they might be better than this.

*cross posted here*

2 comments:

Marianne said...

Josette,

I can't understand why you are doing this "challenge." If you don't enjoy reading Jane Austen AND you haven't enjoyed reading Georgette either, these types of books clearly aren't your cup of tea. Why torture yourself? I have read and re-read both J.A. and G.H. They are my favorite authors - but they are not for everyone!

Marianne

Josette said...

Hi Marianne,

Um, thanks for your suggestion? I didn't enjoy this book but I joined this challenge because I have a few more Heyer books to read. They were sent to me to be reviewed so this is why I need to read them. I'll feel bad for not reading and reviewing them!

Yes, I clearly didn't enjoy Friday's child but I'm hoping that the next book will be better. Anyway, it's also a new reading experience for me.

Glad to know that JA and GH are your favourite authors although they're not mine! :)