Sunday, March 22, 2009

Friday's Child



Oh man, this is definitely the start of an obsession. new obsession, that is. Cos the tiniest suspicion lingered as to whether my enjoyment of the first was just novelty. But having finished my second at about two this morning, I theenk not.

Omigod, I love Georgette Heyer so very much! Like foaming at the mouth sort of much. Gah! *spasms*

Friday's Child was utterly mad and totally riveting. Aside from the hysterical plot, the dialogue omg! How the two best friends, while quite different, talked in the same short incoherent phrases ... I could hear them so clearly and it never failed to be funny, never became tedious in terms of sentence structure. Dude, talk about skill! And omg, some of the dialogue exchanges and hilarious verbal misunderstandings had the mental me falling about in fits of laughter. Pity the physical me can't actually do that cos she's too busy gripping the book and reading fast.

Admittedly, the innocence of the female protagonist neared grating point but every time it did, she was always redeemed by the best friends seeing her much clearer than our male protagonist. He was completely mad in his own right. Every time he contradicted himself with such flagrant confidence, my brain spasmed between outrage and sheer joy.

Totally. Awesome. Characters. Every single one of them, from major to minor to even Pug and Gil the canary. Hee. And I particularly applauded the keen-eyed attention to the more debauched and unsavoury aspects of Regency English society.

Damned fine stuff. Also, I adore these covers.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I LOVE Georgette Heyer! My mother got me reading her books when I was a teenager and I've read all her Regencies many times over :-) I know how you feel!

Some others I think you'd love:

The Grand Sophy
Lady of Quality (that was my first Heyer read!)
Regency Buck
These Old Shades

Those are just some of my absolute Heyer favorites that I just love all over again every time I read them. I'm glad you found your new obsession-it's a good one!!

dri said...

Thanks for the recs, Melissa! I'm very curious about The Grand Sophy and am kinda putting off that gratification for a while as I suspect it will be Teh Awesome!

I have read Lady Of Quality which will be duly reviewed ... :p ... but ooh, this very week's purchase will be These Old Shades and Devil's Cub. Can't wait!

I love that there are so many of her novels to read!

Jen in Brooklyn said...

Wonderful project - and this is my absolute favorite one. My Grandmother read them, my mother reads them, my sister reads them, I read them, and I hope hope hope my daughter will read them.

I'll volunteer some of my selections here:
The Grand Sophy
Cotillion
Sprig Muslin

Welcome to the obsession!