Friday, July 17, 2009

Cousin Kate



Cousin Kate was a curious read, though. It was thrillingly and deliciously gothic to the point of scaring me half to death. And the love story aspect was quite sweet and relatively straightforward, a wonderful mundane contrast to the high bizarre melodrama. I loved our heroine's wit and disarming straightforward manner. The hero could have been a little more interesting but it was sweet enough to see him be charmed by her.

But honestly, I don't know if Heyer was trying to emulate a particular goffic style or just being lazy because she kept lapsing into the most ridiculously long chunks of narrative or monologue. Totally unnecessary and damned near ruined the whole reading experience for me. Talk about keen disappointment. My Heyer has clay feet, wot?

No comments: