Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Talisman Ring



I wasn't sure whether The Talisman Ring was a mystery or a romance when I picked it up but it proved to be quite a delightful read and I particularly loved how everyone was more or less of equal stature, no main leads with supporting characters but more of an ensemble. I was a bit nervous about the young excitable French thing being my only female protagonist so the arrival of Miss Thane with all her humour and intelligence was such a relief. And she only turned out to be a scream of a heroine.

Loved her, loved the way she humanised her hero, loved her totally singleminded brother. And was particularly pleased to see how the rather chilling villain was rendered almost sympathetic by the end. The love stories were handled with enough subtlety of detail and absurdity of humour within the greater context of the mystery to make me fall in love with Heyer all over again. She is Teh Awesome. Truly.

5 comments:

~PakKaramu~ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Felicia J. said...

Dri, did you e-mail me about adding reviews to the blog? If you did, I missed it somehow. My e-mail address is in the comments for "Regency Buck." I've now read and reviewed four Heyers on my blog!

dri said...

Ah, unfortunately, Felicia, I don't have the authority to do that ... the blog's run by Becky who adds us as authors. Might be worth dropping her a comment at the Sign Up post. *crosses fingers*

Becky said...

Felicia, Hi! I just saw your comment asking to be made a contributor! I'm happy to add you to the blog! I've sent an email invite.

Becky

Felicia J. said...

Thanks, Becky! I'll post soon.