Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Masqueraders

The Masqueraders
Cross-posted from Library Queue

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is my fourth Georgette Heyer book and I seem to be enjoying them more and more. This one is definitely different from the other books I've read by her. This book isn't set in the Regency period, but rather earlier in the Georgian era. It is just after the 1745 Jacobite Rising (of which I ashamedly knew nothing about) when a brother and sister appear on the scene in London. They appear to be high society, but no one can say for sure who they are or where they come from. 

The couple are in fact brother and sister. However, they are escaped Jacobites and they are also cross-dressers. They both fall in love while trying to keep their true identities secret to protect themselves. When their father comes to town acting as a viscount, even Prudence and Robin (AKA Peter and Kate Merriot) can't figure out what the truth is anymore.

The book has romance, mystery, comedy, duels and even a murder. I was heartily confused at the beginning of the book as the characters and their assumed identities are introduced. But once I figured out who was who, this was great fun.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

I love this book! One of my favorite Heyers!

Muse in the Fog said...

This one is definitely on my list, I keep hearing such wonderful things about it! Thanks for the review.